Friday, January 20, 2012

KOS - RYNT the ELDER (more shit they'll never know)

RYNT the VILLAGE ELDER is the oldest man in town, as according to custom.  His role is to act as a spokesperson, therapist, judge and living accumulation of history and knowledge.  His voice in matters of civic concern is equal to that of DRONLAN THREE-SWORDS.

RYNT lives in the OLD MANOR.

RYNT is a potent sorcerer, who particularly has a love for magical items of historical value.  He believes that these items are a powerful connection to the past, and hopes to one day find an item that will allow him to add a lasting legacy to his lineage.  He is so bent in this intent that he will collect nearly anything that may lead to further knowledge.  He considers even such mundane things as elven-folk arrowheads and star-pebbles to be of value.  He is also willing to buy all items of interest to a historical collector - books, antique rugs, ceremonial vestments, statues, artwork, etc.  He pays based on the item’s artistic quality, utility, historical value, rarity and on its current physical condition.  His prices are fair - neither mean nor thriftless.

RYNT has a MAG score of 17  and 6 POW points.  He also has enslaved a fire spirit, which dwells in the various fireplaces of the OLD MANOR and would wreak enormous havoc were it ever to escape.  He can draw on this Spirit’s POW to cast spells, which is 15.  Besides warming the house for RYNT’s comfort, the Spirit also guards his home while he is otherwise engaged.  If RYNT orders it to, the Spirit will engage in Mind Battles with enemies. For RYNT to order the Spirit to attack physically would only be warranted by an absolute emergency, because the touch of the Fire-Sprite to anything flammable would quickly cause it to ignite flames that could quickly grow out control.  Matters would  be further complicated by the fact that the OLD MANOR is stuffed with all imaginable dusty tomes, antique furniture, moldering tapestries, taxidermied animals, tottering stacks of parchment, etc.  If RYNT were to die without passing on the secret of the Fire-Sprite's control, the Fire-Sprite would immediately be set free and would be in a state of both exhultation at its liberty, and furious anger at Rynt and all other flammable people and objects nearby.  It would rampage for some time before relocating to a different plane of existence.  Other conditions that would free the Fire-Sprite includes the destruction of the Old Manor, and a successful Mind Battle with Rynt with the intent to free the Fire-Sprite.  The Fire-Sprite cannot be harmed by normal weapons, which pass right through it.  It creates incredible heat, dealing 4d4+3 fire damage to anyone it touches, and the victim must pass a Skill Save to quickly beat himself out before his clothing and accoutrement burst aflame, dealing a further 1d6 fire damage every round and also destroying flammable items such as scrolls, ropes, backpacks, rations, potions, etc at a rate of 1d3 per round, and also causing anything the burning person touches to also have a chance to catch flame.  The Sprite can only be effected by magic, Mind-Battling, or by extinguishing it using traditional techniques.  It would take a full tub of water dousing the Fire-Sprite to kill it, or it could be isolated by removing potential fuel sources until it dwindled and retreated to another dimension.

RYNT knows all 1st, 2nd and 3rd level Spells and will teach them, but is very cautious about who he trains.  His charges for this knowledge are high.
RYNT also has a 70% chance of being able to identify a magical item, as well as its origin, history and any special curses or abilities.  He charges 100 Lunars (GP in D&D) for this service, if it is successful.  He will also make an offer for the item at this point if he is interested.
He can also translate most scripts (95% chance for his own language or one very close, 70% chance for more esoteric script, 30% chance for alien or bizarre, adjusted as the DM sees fit).  He charges a price of 1d30 Wheels for this service.  He also could be convinced to sell maps of various locales, description of its inhabitants, exploration diaries, etc.  These will vary in value and completeness, but an average map of an area the size of Pilgrim's Passing and it's surroundings will cost 10 Wheels (PP in D&D).

Devotee of Kos and Isuss.  Makes abeyance to Io.  The Church of Io would strongly like to see him converted fully to the Cult.

RYNT has an enormous, long, white beard and is thin.  He has a beautiful daughter named IAERILLA.  He has several other sons and daughters, many with children (and one with grandchildren) of their own.  He has a servant named PINFEUR who is a creature with the body of a small dog but the arms and mind of a man.  PINFEUR is very loyal and a crack shot with a crossbow.  Everyone in town holds RYNT him in reverence, awe, and perhaps a little fear.  Nobody knows how old he is, because everyone who did is dead.  He may be the oldest human alive.

RYNT hopes to live forever through use of his collections and magical artifacts.  He is terrified of death.

RYNT is the VILLAGE ELDER, which means he's basically in charge.  He has a long white beard and lives in the OLD MANOR, which is full of junk and treasure.  He has a dog-man manservant named PINFEATHER.

No comments:

Post a Comment